The warm whiff of an apple pie baking will set off really big hunger pangs, that will need a whole pie to satiate. An apple pie, as the name suggest is a fruit pie, whose main ingredient is 'apples'. The pastry or crust used is shaped depending upon the type of pie. A top and bottom double crust pie, where the upper crust could be plain or a lattice woven of strips, whereas a deep dish apple pie has only the top crust. For this pie, one should preferably use fresh apples, but in their absence, dried or preserved (canned) ones can be used. Although, English in origin, apple pie today, is more associated with the American culture. As with a mix of cultures, the filling recipes remains the one that all can enjoy, and with ingredients available anywhere.
Easy Apple Pie Recipe
Just as the apples are important to the pie, the crust is too. For without the crust, the apple filling would not hold, and the taste wouldn't be so good. The crust can be made at home, or bought ready from a store. While making crust at home, make sure you add the right quality and quantity of both shortening and butter. This will ensure that your crust has a crumbly texture that makes this pie simply amazing. Always prepare the crust, before getting the filling ready. For the store bought variety, choose the appropriate size. One that is too big, will spread out the filling, while one which is too small will make it stuffy. Both ways, the apple pie will bake unevenly.
Ingredients for Pastry
Ingredients for Filling
- Plain flour, 8 ounces
- Butter, 5 ounces
- Water, ¼ cup
- Salt, a pinch
- Fresh cooking apples, chopped, stewed, and cooled
- Full whipped cream, 4 tbsp
- Sugar, to taste
- Castor sugar, 1 tsp
- In a bowl, sieve the flour and salt together. Rub in the butter with fingers, until the mixture becomes like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the water, and knead it into a dough. The dough's texture should be crumbly, but firm enough to be rolled.
- Divide the pastry into two halves, roll out one to cover an eight inch aluminum plate. Press the rolled dough gently onto the plate and trim the edges with a knife around the edge of the plate.
- In a separate bowl, combine the apples and sugar, and spoon the stewed apples onto the pie dough in the plate.
- Roll out the second half of the dough, moisten the underside slightly with water and place it on top of the filling, once again ensuring that the plate is covered. Press down the edges to seal the pastry dough and trim off the excess.
- Prick the surface of the pastry lightly before placing the pie in the oven, this will ensure the trapped steam has a channel to escape, else the pie could simply burst.
- Bake the pie in a pre-heated oven to 400degrees F, until the pie appears brown and crusty.
- Remove the pie, cool it down and dust it with Castor sugar. Cut and serve with whipped cream.
Although most apple pie recipes with fresh apples call for the same ingredients and procedure, one can use fresh apples of different varieties. Apples add a sweet flavor, hence one can choose apples as per their sweetness or sourness. And if you do not like cream as a topping, try some fresh honey. While getting fresh apples, make sure you purchase good quality ones, with absolutely no stains, softness, or mushiness. Get those fresh apples and fill your home with a whiff, of the best pie ever.