"What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise." ~ Oscar Wilde
Relationships - be it friendship, love or marriage - do not need a definition! They make us, and they break us. We do experience sets of ups and downs in all sorts of relationships throughout our lives but what really matters is to break the ice and maintain the trust, love and more importantly, the relationship. It could be the ego clashes or other genuine problems, but to successfully come out of it is worth an applause and definitely a reason to smile about.
A troubled relationship is the most challenging and depressing phase that one goes through. If you are in an emotional mess due to a relationship, then given below are some emotional quotes that you would probably relate to.
Top 51 Quotes
Quotes by Celebrities
1. "The one who loves the least, controls the relationship."
~ Robert Anthony
2. "In a relationship, when does the art of compromise become compromising?"
~ Sarah Jessica Parker
3. "I think a relationship is like a shark. It has to constantly move forward or it dies."
~ Woody Allen
4. "A relationship is like a rose. How long it lasts, no one knows."
~ Rob Cella
5. "Relationships give us a reason to live. Revenge."
~ Ronnie Shakes
6. "Near, far wherever you are...you're here in my heart."
~ Celine Dion (My Heart Will Go On)
7. "Your absence has not taught me how to be alone, it merely has shown that when together we cast a single shadow on the wall."
~ D Fetherling
8. "Relationships end, but they don't end your life."
~ Steve Martin
9. "Relationships end, but they don't end your life. But people do often spending more time finding out about failed relationships than finding successful ones."
~ Steve Martin
10. "In Hollywood, an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty percent of publicity."
~ Lauren Bacall
Quotes in the Bible
11. "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamor, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice. And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."
~ (Ephesians 4:31-32)
12. "Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out."
~ Acts 3:19 ESV (English Standard Version)
13. "Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses."
~ Proverbs 10:12 ESV
14. "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me."
~ John 14:1 ESV
Quotes by Some Famous Authors
15. "When men and women are able to respect and accept their differences then love has a chance to blossom."
~ John Gray
16. "Beauty more than bitterness makes the heartbreak."
~ Sara Teasdale
17. "We mistakenly assume that if our partners love us they will react and behave in certain ways - the ways we react and behave when we love someone."
~ John Gray
18. "Sticks and stones are hard on bones
Aimed with angry art,
Words can sting like anything
But silence breaks the heart."
~ Phyllis McGinley, "Ballade of Lost Objects," 1954
19. "There's one sad truth in life I've found
While journeying east and west -
The only folks we really wound
Are those we love the best.
We flatter those we scarcely know,
We please the fleeting guest,
And deal full many a thoughtless blow
To those who love us best."
~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox
20. "Assumptions are the termites of relationships."
~ Henry Winkler
21. "To meet, to know, to love and then to part, is the sad tale of many a heart."
~ Samuel Taylor Coleridge
22. "Trouble is part of your life, and if you don't share it, you don't give the person who loves you enough chance to love you enough."
~ Dinah Shore
23. "Problems in relationship occur because each person is concentrating on what is missing in the other person."
~ Wayne Dyer
24. "Almost all of our relationships begin and most of them continue as forms of mutual exploitation, a mental or physical barter, to be terminated when one or both parties run out of goods."
~ Wiston Auden
25. "Science may have found a cure for most evils: but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all - the apathy of human beings."
~ Helen Keller
26. "Love cannot live where there is no trust."
~ Edith Hamilton quotes
27. "Don't smother each other. No one can grow in the shade."
~ Leo Buscaglia
28. "For lack of an occasional expression of love, a relationship strong at the seams can wear thin in the middle."
~ Robert Brault
29. "A lover's quarrel is always about every quarrel you ever had."
~ Robert Brault
30. "Sometimes two people need to step apart
and make a space between
that each might see the other anew,
in a glance across a room
or silhouetted against the moon."
~ Robert Brault
31. "Absence diminishes mediocre passions and increases great ones, as the wind extinguishes candles and fans fires."
~ Francois de La Rochefoucauld
32. "Some people come into our lives and leave footprints on our hearts and we are never ever the same."
~ Flavia Weedn
33. "You know that when I hate you, it is because I love you to a point of passion that unhinges my soul."
~ Jeanne Julie Éléonore de Lespinasse
34. "I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived."
~ Margaret Mitchell
35. "Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of withering, of tarnishing."
~ Anais Nin
36. "Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes... just be an illusion."
37. "Reason and love are sworn enemies."
38. "The hottest love has the coldest end."
39. "It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all."
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson
40. "Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
~ Kahlil Gibran
41. "Romantic love is an illusion. Most of us discover this truth at the end of a love affair or else when the sweet emotions of love lead us into marriage and then turn down their flames."
~ Thomas Moore
42. "Love is like quicksilver in the hand. Leave the fingers open and it stays. Clutch it, and it darts away."
~ Dorothy Parker
43. "The tears I wish to wipe away, will run unchecked for another day. Alas, that is the price I pay."
~ Mike Archer
44. "There is no pain equal to that which two lovers can inflict on one another."
~ Cyril Connolly
45. "To love and win is the best thing. To love and lose, the next best."
~ William M. Thackeray
46. "A mighty pain to love it is, and 'tis a pain that pain to miss; but of all the pains, the greatest pain is to love, but love in vain."
~ Abraham Cowley
47. "I miss you even more than I could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal."
~ Vita Sackville-West
48. "Love is an unconditional commitment to an imperfect person."
~ Selwyn Hughes
49. "Some of the biggest challenges in relationships come from the fact that most people enter a relationship in order to get something; they're trying to find someone who's going to make them feel good. In reality, the only way a relationship will last is if you see your relationship as a place that you go to give, and not a place that you go to take."
~ Anthony Robbins
50. "Well, it seems to me that the best relationships, the ones that last, are frequently the ones that are rooted in friendship. You know, one day you look at the person and you see something more than you did the night before. Like a switch has been flicked somewhere. And the person who was just a friend is... suddenly the only person you can ever imagine yourself with."
~ Gillian Anderson
51. "Once the trust goes out of a relationship, it's really no fun lying to 'em anymore."
~ Norm from Cheers
If you really treasure your relationship - be it love or marriage - try to communicate and sort out the problems. I sign off with a quote by Keith Sweat, "You can't stop loving or wanting to love because when its right, it's the best thing in the world. When you're in a relationship and it's good, even if nothing else in your life is right, you feel like your whole world is complete".