treadmill vs running outside
Running on a Treadmill Vs. Running Outside
If you are one of those people who simply can't decide what's better, running on a treadmill or running outside, it's time you get an insight into the benefits of both. This article provides a comparison between the two.
- Studies have proven that it is always a better choice to opt for outdoor running. For one, when you run outside, you are exposed to different terrain. You could run on a beach, a pavement, or you could run on grass, and these add to the muscular development and strengthening of the legs. This proves as a better option when compared to the smooth surface of a treadmill.
- Moreover, when running outside, you face what is known as wind resistance. Trying to run against the wind makes you utilize more energy. Therefore, you end up burning more calories than what you would while running on a treadmill.
- When you run outside, you expend all of your own energy in the effort of running. Whereas, while running on a treadmill, the moving belt propels you to run and thus, requires slightly less of your own energy.
- Running outside allows you to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors, something that is missing when you are running on a treadmill indoors. You get fresh air, that rejuvenates the mind and body, and you can always resort to a newer route to break the monotony of the same path.
- Though treadmills provide a smooth terrain for running, it is extremely suitable for those who are affected by, or are prone to muscle injuries. It provides a kind of cushioning to the feet that is not available while running outside.
- Another case in point regarding the smooth belt of a treadmill is that it is more suitable for those who are obese or overweight, since it propels the body and allows them to slowly gain momentum. This allows them to get started on a workout suitably.
- While you may develop more muscle when running outside, indoor running is also beneficial. By simply running on a slight incline, your lower body can get as much of a workout on a treadmill as it does outdoors.
- Treadmills allow you to get your daily run irrespective of the weather conditions outside. If you are the kind who runs outside, with varied conditions, you may have to set aside your daily workout, and start all over when the weather conditions become more suitable for a workout.