Japanese cuisine has a wide variety of options and one can see that rice is one of the most important factors in most recipes. Their seafood dishes are also very much in demand all over the world. Apart from rice, noodles are a part of their staple diet.
- Sweet potatoes, 1 pound
- Water, 2 tbsp.
- Sesame seeds, 1 tsp.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Sugar, ⅓ cup
- Soy sauce, 1 tsp.
First, cut the sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Then fry them in oil at 350 °F. Once they turn brown, mix the water, sugar, and soy sauce in a pan placed over low heat. Once this liquid turns slightly sticky, remove the pan from the heat. Add the fried sweet potatoes to this preparation. Once it blends well, sprinkle the sesame seeds over these coated sweet potatoes.
- Potato, 1 lb
- Ground beef, ¼ lb
- Onion, ½
- Egg, 1
- Salt, ½ tsp.
- Vegetable oil
- Panko (crumbs)
First peel the potatoes and cut them into medium-sized pieces. Boil these pieces to soften them and mash them later. Once done, chop the onion and cook it in the frypan. Now, add the ground beef to the pan, and let it cook completely. Then, take a bowl and mix the mashed potatoes, onion, and the beef together. Use some salt and pepper as seasoning. Make oval shapes out of this preparation. Coat each piece with some flour, dip these in the beaten egg mixture, coat them with the panko, and fry them in the oil till they turn a shade of golden brown.
Green Tea with Ice Cream
- Milk, ¾ cup
- Egg yolks, 2
- Sugar, 5 tbsp.
- Heavy cream, ¾ cup
- Green tea powder, 1 tbsp.
- Hot water, 3 tbsp.
First, mix the green tea powder with some hot water in a bowl; set aside. Whisk the egg yolks with some sugar, and transfer them to a pan, placed over low heat. Gradually add in the milk, and stir properly.
Once the mixture thickens, take off the pan from the heat, and place it in some ice-cold water. This will help you cool the preparation. Add the green tea to the mixture and ensure that you stir it carefully. Add in the whipped cream at the end. Once done, pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze it. Enjoy your ice-cold green tea once it sets well.
Popular Japanese Snacks
- This is a dish that consists of soybeans in the pods. The name has been given due to the short stem that is attached to the pod.
- This is a biscuit that is coated with chocolate. It is available in a wide range of flavors.
- The Lotte group of Japan popularized this snack. It is a cookie which has a sweet filling inside. Available in many flavors, the chocolate and the strawberry rank high in popularity.
- This snack consists of a variety of rice crackers. It is combined with peanut and dried fish.
- The Korokke was originally made with deep-fried fish. Here, meat is combined with mashed potatoes and can be used as a sandwich when placed in between bread slices.
- This is a dessert and consists of small cubes of agar. Agar is a kind of jelly that is made from seaweed. This is served with boiled peas, fruits, beans, anko, etc.